I found it!
Amazing! The mystery has been solved after three years of searching.
James Frisby defended Lord Baltimore's government against the Protestant Associators in 1689 (although he was first a Member, Associator’s Convention, 1684); he was recommended by Lord Baltimore to be on first Royal Council; he was removed by Gov. Lionel Copley in 1692, but restored by Gov. Francis Nicholson in 1694; he refused out of "Scruple of Conscience" to take the required oaths in October 1695 and was removed from the Court of Delegates. Lower House, Cecil County, 1676-1682, 1682-1684 (Accounts 2, 3; Laws 3),Associators' Convention, Cecil County, 1689 (no evidence of attendance after the 1st session); Upper House, 1692 (did not attend the 1st session; dismissed before the second session) 1694-1697 (Accounts 1), 1697/98-1700, 1701-1704 (attended only the 1st session). Council, 1691-1692 (dismissed), 1694-1704. Justice, Cecil County, 1676-1685 (quorum, 1681-1685). Proprietary Assembly, 1676, Cecil County Rep. Justice of Baltimore County from 1665 to 1674. Royal Assembly 1712-1714, 1716-1718, 1719-1721. He was a Captain by 1683/84. He was Protestant. Born around 1651, and died 1704. Probably born in England. Immigrated from England by 1665 as a minor with his parents from Virginia. He was literate and probably sent his sons to England for their education. He was a planter and a merchant. His home was visited and documented in the journal of Jasper Danckaerts in 1679-1680, two years before Hopeful Unity was patented. He was paid for his services in the late expedition against the Nanticoke Indians in 1678.
Benjamin Gundry was not as well-known. He died 5 Jul 1708. He married Godfrey Harmar’s daughter Mary in 1675.
Joseph Hopkins was a Captain by 1679-1685. He was Court Justice, Cecil County (quorum) 1679-1685. He died 21 May 1686, wife mentioned but not named, administration account filed by Sarah Kennard. He patented in 1666 Buck Neck, near Worton, 493 acres. Related to William Pearce.
John Howell was a Captain by 1689. He died by May 1703. Master of the ship Shield of Straton in 1689 – 1691. Visited by Jasper Danckaerts, Labadist, in 1679-1680.
William Hemsley patented 550 acres called Pentridge in Broad Neck in 1670. He was born 20 Mar 1633 in Kent County and died 1694 in Talbot County, Maryland. In 1685 is called Captain in Commission; Sheriff of Kent County, 1663; Clerk of Talbot County, 1685. He served in the Lower House and was on the Commission to revise the laws of the Province, and along with Edward Blay was instrumental in dividing Kent and Cecil Counties into the boundaries of the counties existing as they are today.
Charles James was a Member, Associators' Convention, Cecil County,1684-1692; Grand Committee of Twenty, 1690-1692; Deputy surveyor, Baltimore County, 1671, Baltimore and Anne Arundel counties, 1674-1676; Coroner, Cecil County, 1674-1676, Baltimore County, 1676; Sheriff, Cecil County, 1676 (dismissed after one month); Justice, Cecil County, 1690-1694. impeached by Assembly from posts as sheriff, coroner, and deputy surveyor for perjury and false imprisonment and ruled ineligible to hold public office again, 1676; the Revolution in 1689 brought his reentry into political office; countless disputes with other Cecil County officials, 1689-1692; removed from office by Gov. Francis Nicholson (1655-1727/28), 1694. He was Captain by 1689-1694, of a troop of horse. He was Protestant, probably Anglican, and belonged to the Shrewsbury Parish. Born in England, date unknown, he immigrated as a free adult in 1661. He was literate. He transported five others upon arrival in Maryland. He was a former merchant in London, merchant and planter in Maryland. He died essentially penniless in 1698. Owned Drayton Manor, 1200 acres patented to him in 1667.
John James was a Captain in Cecil County, he swore allegiance to King and Queen of England in 1696. He died 21 Jan, 1698/9. Commissioner of the Province, 1692. He was master of the ship Bohemia Brothers in 1689. Originally owned part of the land that when combined with the land of Col Vincent Lowe, the Hopeful Unity partnership was patented.
William Pearce was a member of the Proprietary Assembly, 1676, Cecil County Rep; High Sheriff of Cecil County, 1684-1688, 1698-1691, 1696-1699; Royal Assembly Lower House Cecil County 1682/83 (resigned to become Sheriff), 1694-1697, 1697/8 -1700, 1704-1707; Justice, Cecil County, 1676-1684, 1694. He fined for cheating the county while sheriff, 1699; found guilty of misappropriating levy, 1704. Captain, by 1688; Colonel by 1690; Naval Officer, Col William Pearce, appointed by Gov. Nicholson, 1694, resigned 1695. Active supporter of the Associator’s Convention. He was Anglican, and a member of the South Sassafras Parish Vestry, Cecil County, 1693-1696, 1704-1705. Born around 1641 and died 1721. Born probably in England and probably immigrated in the late 1650’s definitely by 1664, probably came as an indentured servant. Literate. Anglican. Probably the same William Pearce, who was a former servant of Thomas Mowell (?-1675). Col Pearce at age 73 “or thereabouts” testified in 1714 that he obtained a warrant for completion of service in 1661/62. He went on to testify that he then in 1663 patented 250 acres with another former servant, Robert Neife, in Maryland. Became a planter and owned Marshy Point (Wills Lib 1 fol 207 (1720). Held at death L1153 and 1450 acres. His great great grandson was a US Senator in 1862 (Hon James Alfred Pearce).
Richard Pullen yeoman, on 21 Aug 1660 was bound to serve John Woolcott for four years in MD (BRCO:134). He was a commissioner in 1684 in Cecil County. He was Quaker. He was married to Ann Gilbert Smith Ayres Queeney Pullen. He was assigned to a foot company of Capt John Norwood in 1662 but refused to serve for religious reasons.
Robert Sanders was Quaker. His will in 1684 named wife Sarah as executrix and sole heir. Owned “Ivingoe”, 200 acres in Cecil County. He arrived in Maryland by 1675, when he had land on the south side of Sassafras River.
George Warner was a representative to the Lower House, Cecil County, 1692 (dismissed during the 1st session of the 1692-1693 Assembly because, as a Quaker, he did not subscribe to required oaths). Justice, Cecil County, 1681-1687 (omitted from list of new commissioners on June 9, 1687, when the Council made alterations in the commissions after taking into consideration "the ill state of the County of Cecil at present"), 1688-1691/92 Commissioner, Cecil County. A Quaker and therefore ineligible for office after 1692. Delayed taking oaths as Justice under the Protestant Associators' government following the revolution in 1689. But did sign an address and took a loyalty oath earlier. He was Protestant by 1689, but later followed the Quaker religion. He reported to the Maryland General Assembly with Stephen Coleman (1694), and said that “a weekly meeting settled in Cecil County (later Kent) and a meeting house lately built.” Land donated by him to the Quaker Meeting: two acres. He was Quaker by 1692. Born by 1657, died 1703. First son, probably born in Maryland, probably second generation. Married daughter of Joseph Hopkins, his second marriage. He was known as a planter and merchant. He was literate. Although later Quaker, he did keep slaves until his death.
Given the historical context of the religious and political times, the partnership was obviously formed for religious reasons, and perhaps political as well, as the two were so closely tied during the late 1600"s.
What do you think?